Header Image

Originally a London and North-Western Railway depot, Carnforth was developed in 1944 by the London, Midland and Scottish ("LMS") company and was the centre of operations of the very last steam engines to work on British Railways ("B.R.") in 1968.

After that B.R. developed Carnforth as part of a preservation site but, after that failed, it became a major visitor attraction as "Steamtown". It is now the main operational base of the West Coast Railway Company ("WCRC").


carn4






Since its first trip in preservation on 1st March 2008, 86259 has been soley operated by the West Coast Railway Company. The loco was featured at the Carnforth Open Weekend in July 2008.


carn3





86259 posed on a rake of ex-Manchester Pullman coaches, the very same stock it had hauled, albeit in different livery, decades before between Euston and Manchester.


carn2






A glorious weekend with great weather and a fantastic mixture of 60s locos - classic steam, including "Scots Guardsman", "Oliver Cromwell" and "Leander" ... and it looks as though Harry Potter's just arrived! There were dozens of diesels, including a Deltic and a Royal 47 and of course lots of the WCRC fleet ... and one electric!


carn1








86259 has been stabled in the loops outside Carnforth depot quite a few times, waiting for steam-hauled trains to return, but on this occasion the loco was on show inside the depot.