Header Image

The first steam shed was opened at Oxley, Wolverhampton, in 1907. It closed in 1967 and was rebuilt as a diesel maintenance facility which later catered for electrics. For many years a.c. locos, including 86259, found themselves being stabled or maintained at Oxley after working Euston - Wolverhampton diagrams.


Img oxley2








In early February 2008, after restoration at Tyseley was complete, 86259 was taken to Oxley for tests before its Main Line test run.


Img oxley4








Inside Oxley depot.


Img oxley1








February 5th, 2008. For the first time since 17th September 2003, that's 4 years 4 months 2 weeks and 5 days, 86259 goes live.


Img oxley5








February 8th, 2008. Thunderbird 57316 "FAB 1" brings 259 out of the depot.


Img oxley3








Midday, and the Main Line test run is about to begin. 47773 has been attached to the 86 but for the first time 86259 will drag the 47!